What causes heat sensation in the upper back?

Posted on Mon, 19 Jun 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Twice in the past month i have had a heat like feeling for around 5 minutes behind my left shoulder middle upper back.
It feels like i have a heat pad on my skin for a short time.
I was advised to go and see a dr to check heart last time this happened, discussed with two gp they listened to heart and didnt seem to concerned.
Could this be nerve pain?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible but unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Abnormal sensations such as heat may be a manifestation of peripheral nerve damage. However the symptoms correspond to the specific peripheral nerve or nerve root involved, so should be distributed in surface covered by that nerve. The location you mention doesn't really seem to correspond to a nerve root.
Of course there are anatomical variations between individuals, it can't be excluded based solely on that, but there is also the duration of the symptoms which at only 5 minutes is not typical for peripheral nerve issues.

So given that you have excluded cardiac causes, I would say that there is not much to worry about. It may be simply due to a muscle strain or spasm, to joint inflammation or in some cases due to anxiety, often when the duration is so short the cause is difficult to pinpoint as nothing is found on physical exam, but there certainly is not much reason for concern, I agree with the physicians who you saw. Anxiety may be a contributing factor as well.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist