What causes heat intolerance in elderly?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am female age 68 and I seem to be much hotter than my partner, to comfortable or able to sleep I require a room temperature much lower than my partner. Wintertime I almost freeze him. Can this be treated?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Heat Intolerance

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. At age of 68 heat intolerance is likely hormonal. Either thyroid or some medications for blood pressure, decongestants, allergy medications and any other medication that can prevent sweating. Too much use of caffeine or overactive thyroid gland can cause it.

Talk to an endocrinologist or talk to an internist and let them help you in this regard. Regular frequent showers, plenty of fluids intake and wearing loose and preferably cotton fabrics wil help with the heat. Meanwhile aim to focus underlying cause for heat intolerance should be sorted out.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

regards
Khan