What causes heat in the stomach and abdominal pain?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For some time now, ive been feeling heat im my stomach and radiating to my lower body. Started in december after taking spicy food. I was on nexium for 2 weeks at a stretch, twice. I also take gaviscon nightly. Sometimes i feel relief, other times i feel the heat. I tok ginger tea for about a week in late december, but i stopped. I only have slight pain left side of abdomen. What can be the issue
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to gastritis and may need endoscopy.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Based on the history you have shared, it can due to gastritis or inflammation of stomach lining however a baseline ultrasound should be done to assess for any other cause of abdominal pains and a xray erect abdomen may also be done to look for any free fluid or gas in abdomen.

Meanwhile continue nexum as before alongwith sucralfate and Motility agents like domperidone or itapride may also be needed alongside. A stool test for H. pylori antigen should also be carried out as to look for cause of gastritis.

If symptoms persist or baseline workup is unremarkable, upper GI endoscopy may be needed after discussing with your gastroentrologist to rule out other causes like hiatal hernia or any signs of gastric ulcer.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D