What causes heartburn, indigestion, flatulence, excessive burping and gurgling sound in the abdomen?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi I have been having gastro problems for the last 3 weeks heartburn,indegestion,flatulence,burping or trying to, stomach gurgling, no real pain had a dull pain on right side waist area kinda towards back that goes and comes and 1 bout of severe diahrea that was totally watery just a few days ago. Since than gastro has been some what improved but am being very careful of what eat very bland (turkey, oatmeal, bananas etc. Went to my GP first week this started he did blood work which was normal, urine dip stick which came back high bilirubin and sent me for sonogram of the upper right quadrant thinking poss gallbladder. Sonogram came back normal. Went to a gastro dr this week who dx as acid reflux and want to do an endoscopy to see if anything else shows up and script for pantoprazole. Have not taking med perscibef after reading side effects. When I asked him about the high bilirubin he said has to be a false positive since blood work including liver panel and sono was normal. Im very concerned and nervous about the bilirubin level being high and that it could be something very serious like cancer of one organs or bile ducts and the dr just wrote it off as a false positive. I am not jaundice my urine is very pale yellow, my stools have been a normal color up until the watery diahrea which was just 3 days ago had 1 bowel movement since than that was kinda light on the yellowish side.Can you give me your opinion about the direct bilirubin and are those test strips pretty accurate? I've been very worried about this for 3 weeks and didn't feel reassured with the Drs false positive answer. Thanks for your time
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
could have been false positive

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
The test strips are fairly accurate but not nearly as accurate as blood tests for bilirubin. I understand your concern but if you had something serious like cancer or a problem with the liver or gallbladder it should have shown up on the blood tests and ultrasound.
I agree with the decision to get an endoscopy done since your symptoms have been going on for 3 weeks. This test can further reassure you and perhaps give you an accurate diagnosis for your symptoms. Only with a proper diagnosis can you get the correct treatment.
I also agree with the bland diet and I suggest that you also add some probiotics to your daily regimen. Align is a good brand name of probiotics.
I understand your concerns about side effects of pantoprazole but most people tolerate this medication well if only used for a short period of time like 6-8 weeks. It may help relieve your symptoms.
Please let me know if you have further questions
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 6 hours later
Hi thanks for your response. I am going for the endoscopy 8/12. If the gastro problems get worse again prior to that I will try the medicine but really didn't like all the side effect if I have to though I will. My major concern the direct bilirubin do you Know what can cause this??? Please let me know your thoughts on this matter.
Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
certainly

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for the follow up
Direct or conjugated bilirubin can occur due to fatty liver, viral infections, liver congestion or drug toxicities. If you just had this on a single urine dip then I agree that it was probably a false positive. The things that tend to cause bilirubin elevations are pretty serious and would have still been positive on the follow up blood test that you had. If you are concerned about it then you may want to have your doctor repeat the bilirubin blood test just to reassure you.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 3 hours later
Thanks I did yest..and it was neg very relieved.. So now just the gastro problems to deal with. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome and i am so glad to hear that follow up bilirubin was normal
Best wishes to you
Dr. Robinson