question-icon

What causes heartburn between the throat and the stomach?

Posted on Tue, 7 Feb 2017
Question: I have heartburn..two days now. Seems to be in the area between throat and stomach. Sometimes feels like sore throat type discomfort but no other symptoms. Like some irritation there.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
As discussed

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Female/ 61 - heartburn - 2 days - between throat and stomach - sometimes feel sore throat type discomfort - irritation - not visited a Doctor - tried nothing....
As per the history you have provided this looks to be esophagitis, most probably due to GERD - that is Gastroesophageal reflux disease.
I would advise you the following:
I would advise the following in such a patient:
PPI like Omeprazole
Antacid/Pepcid every 3 to 4 hours when on empty stomach.
Add Domperidone or such motility regulators.
Soft bland diet.
No aerated colas / soda/ drinks.
Early dinner. No late nights.

Get an EKG done to rule out any cardiac issues.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon