What causes heart palpitations?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 24 Oct 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am having heart palpitations.. there is pressure not real pain.. hard to breath properly.. small burning in back between shoulder blades.. sometimes left shoulder and fingers feel tingly.. sweating upper body and freezing feet.. been going on since last night..

oh and I think I'm dehydrated.. how long is this going to take.. I'm waiting to see if this is anxiety or my heart..
oh and I do have low blood preasure but last time checked was not dangerously low..

possible enlarged heart.. runs in family
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommed as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that before concluding that your symptoms are related to anxiety or dehydration, it is important excluding possible coronary artery disease as a possible cause of this clinical situation.

Besides, you should know that anxiety and dehydration can trigger the symptomatology of coronary artery disease.

For this reason, I recommend going to the ER for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG and cardiac enzymes to exclude possible coronary artery disease
- a cardiac ultrasound
- a chest X ray study
- a complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes for possible electrolyte imbalance which can trigger this symptomatology.

You may need urgent treatment in the ER service to recover from this situation.

A cardiac stress tests would be necessary to exclude coronary artery disease (as your actual symptomatology is very suggestive for this disorder).

Only if all the above tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the possible cause of this clinical scenario. In such case Xanax 0.25mg or 0.5mg would be helpful to control panic attacks.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Feel free to ask me again whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 11 minutes later
what do you mean by symptomology??

and if it is my heart... what would be the reason for the sweats and the freezing feet at the same time?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

With symptomatology I mean all your complaints (shortness of breath, low blood pressure, palpitations, tingling in left shoulder and fingers, sweating upper body and freezing feet,small burning in back between shoulder blades).

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
what would be the reason for the sweating and the freezing feet??? will go to er as soon as you answer this...oh and it seems to not go away but e come and go in degrees..
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mediators of stressful conditions are responsible:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX!

In a stressful situation such as yours with several unpleasant and really disturbing complaints, there exists an increased blood level of circulating catecholamines (such as epinephrine and norepinephrine), which are considered mediators of stress conditions.

They are responsible for several physiologic responses such as increased heart rate, sweating, peripheral blood vessel constrictions (leading also to freezing feet), etc.

That’s why, in order to properly define the right cause of your actual clinical scenario, I recommend consulting an ER doctor at your living area.

I remain at your disposal for any further discussions.

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 11 hours later
just wanted to let you know... that I have a bad bladder infection that was caught before it went systemic.. said if I would have let it go any longer it would have become systemic. because of a eshopogial wrap in '94, when I get nauseated it does not go away for awhile and I end up dehydrated.. been through that many times.. it was the sweating and freezing and palpitations that had me concerned and scared.. so glad I went in though because this has been going on for at least a couple of weeks. They found nodule on right lung.. said there is no indication that it is malignant, however should most definitely get it checked out.. thank you so very much for encouraging me to go to the ER.. I have been ill for so many years that I hate to go in... its cold in there ~smile~ I always feel that I'm making a big deal out of nothing.. so I don't go in.. very glad now.. again thank you so very much. take care of yourself and may the gods watch over you..
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:

Dear XXXXXXX

I am glad you have no serious health issues (no any cardiac disorder), as a bladder infection is considered quite an easily curable disease.

It seems that an inflammation has caused your recent complaints, and most likely in a couple of days everything will turn normal.

I remain at your disposal for other discussions, in case of any further uncertainties in the future.

Wishing you good health!

King regards,

Dr, Iliri