What causes heart palpitations?
Premature ventricular contractions
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns
You are concerned about missing a heart beat after a work out. This really is a common occurrence and can be linked to premature ventricular contractions or premature atrial contractions. Both of these are caused by a misfire of the heart and does not indicate any heart disease. The only way to diagnose this irregular heart beats is to capture them on an EKG. You would need to first get a regular EKG and if that did not find an abnormality then you would proceed with a Holter monitor. This is a heart monitor that captures your heart beats over a 24 hour period.
If you develop any chest pain or lightheadedness with the irregular heart bet then you need to see someone immediately. But since you had no accompanying symptoms this can be evaluated as needed.
I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Your palpitations are most likely caused by the PVC or PACs. These are benign and usually are not even treated. I would recommend that you see your medical provider for an EKG and possible holter monitor. After you have these tests complete then you can discuss treatment options. If they are the PVCs or PACs there is no treatment. There is no treatment because the treatment is more dangerous than the disease itself. So please see your provider
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Heart palpitations caused by gastritis
- Inflammation that causes heart palpitations
- Heart palpitations causing insomnia
- Onion causing heart palpitations
- What can cause heart palpitations
- Heart palpitations caused by sneezing
- Heart palpitations cause coughing
- What causes heart palpitations symptoms
- What is the cause and treatment for heart palpitations
- What causes minor heart palpitations