What causes heart palpitations while sleeping?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: For the last two weeks every night when I go to sleep - in the first hour or so- I am awakened very violently due to a pounding heartbeat. Then I remain awake for a couple of hours then I am able to fall asleep in a normal fashion. This has happened daily for the last two weeks. Some nights the symptoms are more sever. The symptoms seem more sever when I have had a difficult day at work as I am an attorney. These symptoms happened to me before for a period of time a few years ago. However, For the last two weeks every night when I go to sleep - in the first hour or so- I am awakened very violently due to a pounding heartbeat. Then I remained awake for a couple of hours then I am able to fall asleep in a normal fashion.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that these symptoms needs evaluation.

It's advisable that you should get a Holter monitoring done which will record your heart rhythm activities over a period of 24 to 48 hrs while you being doing your normal activities.

So if any transient Arrythmia is happening then it will be b recorded in this test. This way we will be able to diagnose it properly and treatment will be done accordingly.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 6 hours later
Dr a few years ago the same symptoms happened & I wore a holter for some time & there were no positive findings. If I remember correctly these symptoms had ceased during the 30 days I wore the holter. But I was having similar less severe symptoms when I wore the holter nevertheless the cardiologist didn't see anything irregular in the results. What do you think? Do you think it can be just a product of extreme stress ? Should I repeat the holter? Should I try something else? Thanks
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Yes if you are going through stress then these palpitations can very well be the result of it.

But still it's advisable to repeat one Holter to make sure all is fine from cardiac point.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T