What causes heart palpitations, shortness of breath and chest pains?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have been experiencing heart palpitations, shortness of breath, pressure on my chest with occasional chest pains and back pains. I have been like this for about a week now and cannot figure out what is wrong with me. I have been to the doctor and he told me that I am experiencing symptoms of anxiety or stress. I have never in my life experienced such problems due to anxiety or stress. Prior to this situation, I was taking the birth control pill Microgestin Fe 1/20 for about four months. When this situation came about, I completely stopped taking the pills out of fear that the situation would worsen. I have a family history of high blood pressure and have a history of chest pains throughout my youth. What could possibly be wrong?

I have been told that it may all be in my head. I have no problem with speaking but when I'm not speaking and doing things in the work environment, the symptoms worsen.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
You nee a complete health check.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX

I have gone through your symptoms. You have not mentioned whether you have undergone a complete health check or not.

Since you are having so many problems which are recurrent, it`s absolutely necessary that you take a complete health check before we label it as anxiety.

Consult your PCP and ask for a complete health check. Since your symptoms pertain mainly to lungs and heart, it should also include a chest xray, a spirometry, ecg, echo and in case of recurring complaints of palpitations, a holter monitoring should also be done.

If the tests reveal anything, it will be easier to treat the condition. If all turn out to be normal, then we will have to label it as anxiety for which you will have to discover the coping mechanisms or consult a psychiatrist.