What causes heart palpitations at night when diagnosed with thyroid disorder?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 28 Dec 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello
I have a history of Thyroid Hashimotos for over 10 years. I have in the last two years experienced Frequent symptoms such as, Heart palpitations at night (heart thumping through the chest). My resting pulse is 40 - 50.
I have had about 4x nasal, sinus and throat colds that has extended into the lungs. I have audible wheezing when breathing out and it is hard to breath, when I have these colds. I started running 3 x a week up to 3-5kms over the last 2 years and have required Ventolin spray to prevent difficulty breathing when running.
My GP prescibed a steroid - Prednisolone (for 3days), an antibiotic, saline rinses twice a day, These have helped a little and now the latest symptom is blocked middle ears (R and L)
In the last 2 days when a coughing fit occurs i experience pain at the front of my chest.
Should i seek a specialist opinion from my GP and further investigation.?
I find that I'm bruising easily when knocked or bumped, My ankles swell in hot weather.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some exams requeried.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking on HCM!
I read carefully your concern.
From your description i would suggest to check the thyroid hormones to judge about the levothyroxine dose and adjust it according to the result.
Certainly you need a careful clinical examination to rule out a pulmonary pathology or a cardiac one.
When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average).
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH (checks your thyroid)
Proteine C reactive.
Free T4 (this too checks your thyroid)
25 hydroxy Vitamin D levels (ideal range 40 to 60 ng/ml = 100 to 150 nmol/liter)
Calcium

None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day.
Will be a pleasure to help you further.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 2 hours later
Thank you
I will follow up with the GP.
Do you think any is related to the Hashimotos or are they separate issues.
What will the tests be looking for?
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hashimoto should be ruled out at first.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
The exams mentioned above give information about the dose of levothyroxine (if it is under dosage may explain the symptoms) and help to rule out a pneumonia or other systemic pathologies that are manifested with the symptoms you described.
Of course the clinical examination is very important too.

Wish you good health,
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta