What causes heart palpitations and tremors while on Coversyl for high BP?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi thanks. My question is a bit complicated. Ten years ago I started taking high blood pressure tablets to lower my "bottom/low" blood pressure (I think its called diastolic). I was prescribed Coversyl2.5mg tab with perindopril. My blood pressure has been steady top one around 135 and bottom one at 80/90. But recently I went back my bottom blood pressure was 100 and top 140. He prescribed me Coversyl 5mg. On the bottle it says (Perindopril Arginine). I have been taking those for two weeks and today I am not feeling well. I feel palpitations and shaking a little bit. I have a blood pressure machine at home. I just tested myself. My blood pressure is as high as 170 for the top one and 110 for the bottom one, even though I am taking the stronger tablet. My top one has never been that high before, and my bottom one is also too high.
What do you think is causing it doctor?

My email address is: YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that your blood pressure values are high. This is not related to the increase in the dose of perindopril.

This is an antihypertensive drug (ACEI class) and can cause several adverse effects like: cough, headache, low blood pressure, etc., but it does not cause high blood pressure.

Coming to this point, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG
- a chest X ray study
- some blood lab tests (complete blood count, PCR, sedimentation rate, thyroid hormone levels, blood electrolytes, kidney and liver function tests, fasting glucose, blood lipid profile) to investigate for other secondary causes of high blood pressure.

If all the above tests result normal and no other cause of secondary hypertension is found, you should discuss with your doctor on the possibility of making further changes to your antihypertensive therapy (add a calcium channel blocker, etc.) in order to have a better control of your blood pressure.

I would also recommend reduce salt and caffeine intake in your diet, as they are known to trigger high blood pressure.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 16 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. At least am at rest now that am not taking the wrong medicine. I will follow your directions.

Kind regards.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri