What causes heart palpitations and skipped heart beats while showering?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Dec 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: When I get in the shower my heart starts skipping a beat after a few minutes, I've never had this before. It started about a month ago. My heart ultrasound was ok, but I might have to have a holder monitor if it continues, can the heat speed up your heart and make it skip? It's scary! Thank you in advance!
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

I agree this is a peculiar phenomenon that you are experiencing. It is possible that when you are in the shower for a few minutes, the warm water might cause they dilation of your blood vessels and this could affect your blood pressure to some degree. This might therefore lead to a change in your pulse.

at the same time this should not be an extreme type of reaction causing you the sensation of palpitations you are experiencing. I think it would be reasonable for you to wear the Holter monitor in order to see if there is any abnormality in the actual rhythm of your heart as well as the post itself.

thyroid medication could cause some sensitivity of your heart but it seems somewhat unlikely with the very low dose of medication you are taking. Your doctor will likely follow up with additional thyroid laboratory testing in the coming months to make sure you are on the right dose of medication.

Ultimately I think the monitor is reasonable for you to wear. ThisWill help your doctors discovered if there are any other abnormalities in your heart rhythm that you're not actually conscious of.

Thanks again for sending your question. I trust that your doctors will help you get to the bottom of the symptoms you're experiencing.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad