Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

What causes heart palpitations and pressure in temples?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2013
Answered : 1242 Questions
I am having heart palpitations. My heart rate gets up to about 100 (from 70ish) with minimal activity and then of I lay down my heart rate does slow eventually but it continues to beat hard for 20 minutes up to HOURS. I AM overweight and deconditioned but this is all recent and I've been overweight for almost 3 years. In addition to the heart rate and palpations, I am having pain and pressure in my temples. I'm not sure if they're related. I am very worried about the increased heart rate and hard beating causing some kind of blood vessel to explode and especially in my head since I am having new twme pain and pressure.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hello !
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

In my opinion you have nothing to worry about.
The normal range for heart rate in rest is 60-100 beats/min and over 100 it is considered tachycardia (fast heart beat ).
It is normal that in physical activity the heart rate can rise up to 150-170 beats/min (even with minimal activity).

I suggest to measure your pulse in rest and if it is between 60-100 beats/min (average 80) and the pulse is regular ,then you have nothing to worry about.

You might feel palpitations or have fast heartbeats because of anxiety and stress.This is causing your heart to beat faster and you to feel the pain and pressure in your temples.

The blood vessels in your head can rupture and cause bleeding for 2 reasons:
-Normal blood vessels but very high blood pressure (over 200/120 mmhg).

In your case I think it is just anxiety so you should try to work on it.
You can try meditation,yoga etc.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have additional questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to help.

Take care!
Dr.Rovena Murati
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes heart palpitations and pressure in temples? 24 minutes later
Is temple pain ever indicative of a possible leaking or unruptered aneurysm?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is more indicative for tension headache.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear!

Most unruptured aneurysms are discovered incidentally during routine imaging of the brain, such as an MRI or CT scan because they usually don't cause any symptom.
In other case an unruptured aneurysm can cause symptoms such as headaches, pain above and behind the eyes , dizziness,double vision etc.

The pain in temple is more indicative for tension headache.
If your headache is constant or is getting worse ,your doctor may order a CT scan of the head to exclude major causes including aneurysms.
In this way you can put your mind in rest that nothing serious is causing your symptoms.

Feel free to ask ,if you have other questions.
Take care!

Dr.Rovena Murati
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes heart palpitations and pressure in temples? 4 minutes later
I had a CT scan a week ago when I was having similar pain accompanied with dizziness. I was told that the scan would only detect ruptured aneurysms..? I may have been misinformed so please clarify for me. I am having dizziness and pain in the temple area which is behind my eye.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may need to run a CT-Angiography.

Detailed Answer:

Yes,this is true because standard CT with or without contrast agents cannot adequately define the presence or absence of an aneurysm, particularly in small aneurysms.

To confirm or exclude the presence of an intracranial aneurysm you may need to run an CT Angiography that can detect even very small aneurysms.

Other possibilities are MRI-Angiography and Intra-Arterial Angiography.

In your case I would suggest to consult a neurologist so he can evaluate your symptoms ,medical history ,familiar history and advise if it is necessary to run further investigations for aneurysms.

Hope it was of help.

Dr.Rovena Murati
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor