What causes heart palpitations and muscle twitches in a person with GAD?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I've been having strange symptoms including heart palpitations, tingling sensations, muscle twitches, very emotional, weakness, lightheadedness, and sleeplessness. I was recently diagnosed with GAD from my therapist. Is it possible my thyroid may be involved in the recent activity? TSH level when checked last week was slightly elevated at 4.76.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid unlikely

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry to note your medical symptoms.

I have reviewed the attached laboratory result. Although the TSH is mildly elevated above the upper limit of normal, it is unlikely to be the cause of your symptoms.

The type of symptoms you are reporting tend to occur typically in those with an overactive thyroid condition called 'hyperthyroidism' in which the TSH is low.

However, in view of your complaints it would be worthwhile ruling out a fairly rare condition called pheochromocytoma. It can be screened for with a blood test called 'Plasma Free Metanephrines'. This test does not require you to be fasting and so it can be done at any time of the day.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I generally order further tests in addition to a thorough physical examination:

CBC
CMP
Free T4
Thyroid auto antibodies
HbA1c

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Best wishes for good health
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 minute later
Thanks so much doc. I'll talk to my PCP at my next appointment about that.