question-icon

What Causes Heart Palpitations And Increased Hear Rate While On Thyroid Medication?

Posted on Fri, 3 Nov 2017
Question: I am having symptoms of Thyroid overmedication like heart palpitations and fast heart rate, trouble falling sleep, Anxiety, etc. my last TSH levels 2.96 as on 18/08/2017. I was using 50 mcg switched to 25mcg currently stopped the medication since 25 days due to above symptoms. Please advice
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
About hypothyroidism treatment:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
The TSH level you reported is with the normal ranges, anyway FT4 and FT3 would be also needed to judge about levothyroxine over dosage.
You didn't mention the diagnosis, why you are taking levothyroxine and since when have you been taking it?
If it is Hashimoto thyroiditis, usually the treatment is long life and levothyroxine is not recommended to be stopped with normal thyroid hormones.
I would recommend to continue with 25 mcg and check TSH, FT4 and F3 after 6 weeks.
Will be a pleasure to help you further.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist