• question-icon

What causes heart palpitations after a meal?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi my husband just had an artery event and was in the hospital 2 days. I've noticed when I keep large hours and meals are hurried or off schedule I get palpitations. I had these more severely when he was sick a year ago for several days. Eating a little seems to help but I am worried. I get shaky and jumpy.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thorough evaluation of recurrent palpitations should be done.

Detailed Answer:

Initially I would give you a brief account of what symptoms are you having The symptom you are having are palpitations.A heart palpitation is the sensation that your heart has skipped a beat or added an extra beat,pulse can be felt as bounded.
Most of the time palpitation is usually associated with some pathological or physiological problem with the heart,
To rule out the cause of palpitations i would like to suggest you some of the baseline tests of cardiology like -
24 hour holter monitoring-A small device would be attached to your body for 24hours.It will keep a record of your heart beat (both rate and rhythm) for a period of 24 hours.You can also note the time during which you feel palpitations and the rhythm at that time could be seen on computer monitor during interpretation of the test.It is the basic and most important test for you.

7 days loop recorder- In case faulty heart beats are not recorded in holter ,A device called loop recorder would be attached to your body for 7days and it will keep a record of your heart beats for 7 days!
If they are normal you are clear from cardiac side.

Along with it please get your thyroid profile done.Some times increased level of thyroxine can cause palpitations.

If all these are normal then simply they are anxiety related and short term therapy with anxiolytics should be taken for relief in palpitations.

Follow up with reports.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 11 minutes later
Thank you. Will discuss with my physician and follow up!
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Follow up of patients reply.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.
Your welcome a thorough evaluation should be done.

Please do follow up with reports!
Wish you a great luck.

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist