What causes heart murmur, irregular heart beats, dizziness and insomnia?
Time to have this evaluated.
Hello and welcome,
There are benign murmurs, but a murmur is different from a skipped beat or premature ventricular contraction, which feels like the heart gave a leap or a thump.
There are benign arrhythmias too, which don't give any symptoms other than occasional brief heart thumping, skipping, or racing. But when there are other symptoms such as dizziness that accompany the heart arrhythmia, then it needs to be looked into.
So - you should see your doctor soon. Your doctor will do an EKG (which records your rhythm only for a brief time) and probably will also want you to have a holter monitor test, which records your heart rhythm over a period of time (such as 24 hours - you wear it), an echo cardiogram (an ultrasound of the heart) and possibly a stress test.
If your heart skip sensation is also accompanied by chest pain or pressure, you should go to the ER immediately.
I am glad you are making lifestyle changes (they all sound positive) and have cut down on cigarettes. You might want to talk with you doctor for help with quitting and staying off cigarettes. I've had success with patients taking Zyban (wellbutrin) for smoking cessation, but it can make people a little shaky feeling at first so it might be best to hold off on considering that until after you get the heart symptom sorted out.
Get plenty of rest if possible too.
If stress is a significant factor right now, talk with your doctor about that, as higher levels of stress hormones (adrenaline, cortisol) can exacerbate the heart skipped beat problem, and dizziness too. But still get your heart evaluated.
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis