What causes heart failure?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 24 Dec 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Good day po,

What does having a heart failure means? Having an ef of 16 to 22 % and angiplasty 2 years ago. 56 years old. Doctor said it is stable and gave medications. How good is the prognosis for this and what can we do to prolong the life span.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome

Detailed Answer:
This is low ejection fraction but still not critical. It is hard to predict life expectancy and dynamic of heart function in future. It depends on various factors such as age, comorbidities, General health,underlying cause of heart disease ,lung and kidney function. Generally, people's with such ef can live normally and reach average lifetime if are taking medicines and living healthy l,avoiding other risk factors such as obesity, diabetes,smoking and physical inactivity. So you can hope for best ,just follow doctors instructions. Ef can be increased always for 15-20 percent. And in most cases it falls not so rapidly,mostly during 10 years for 5-10%
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 4 hours later
So can live a full life if all doctor's instructions are followed?
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Generally Yes.you have significant disease and you may have certain symptoms but ejection fraction may stay above 20% for rest of your life. You may not even die from heart failure but some other disease. Also heart transplantation and biomechanical pumps may be implanted in worst scenario.