What causes heart failure?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 19 Dec 2014 in Heart Failure
Question: Good day po,

What does having a heart failure means? Having an ef of 16 to 22 % and angiplasty 2 years ago. 56 years old. Doctor said it is stable and gave medications. How good is the prognosis for this and what can we do to prolong the life span.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Severe heart failure & a correct treatment may prolong life...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

I read your query very carefully and understood your concern.

Heart failure, also known as congestive heart failure (CHF), is a situations when your heart muscle doesn't pump blood as it should normally do. An Ejection Fraction EF 16-22% show that it's severe Heart failure.

Severe heart failure hasn't a good prognosis and should be treated correctly in order to prolong life. A correct treatment include medical therapy, diet and invasive therapy.

If you were my patient i would suggest:
- Flue Vaccination two times per year (September and march).
- ICD and resyncronisation therapy (invasive therapy).
- Add spironalactone and rosuvastatin (crestor) to your medical therapy.
- Avoid salty food (limit salt intake).

Hope this will be of help!
Dr. Benard
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 12 minutes later
I am under medications right now. I am also having a good diet and regular exercise.

But my doctor said that my condition is stable.

My ECG is fine. I saw a doctor after all this and assured me that my condition is stable. Do I need to be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following parameters to consider to evaluate heart failure...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

There are various parameters to consider while evaluating the cardiac failure, but two are very important in determining prognosis and life expectancy:

1. The clinical presentation: which has been evaluated by your doctor determining the "stable" situation.

2. Cardiac Echo: The one you showed to me reported very low ejection fraction, indicative for severe heart failure.

Taking this parameter into account, my advice is to:
- be very careful
- consider implanted cardiac defibrilator to prevent cardiac arrest and/or sudden death in the future
- consider listing in the attending queue for heart transplant.
- re-synchronization therapy to be considered before transplantation. This is an invasive solution, which will increase EF and improve HF.

All the best!
Dr.Benard