What causes hearing loss?

Posted on Wed, 2 Nov 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have moderate hearing loss in both ears as recently determined by two audiologists. I also saw two eye/ear/nose physicians who stated I have nerve damage and that my ear structure (no fluid in the eustachian tube, ear drum is normal) was fine. My frustration with hearing is ongoing and has increased significantly since I had a major cold, sinus problems, and hacking cough three months ago. Since that time I have had a constant low moan in my ears, and my sound pitch has been altered. When I hear music it is either sharp or flat in sound and unpleasant to listen to. When I talk my voice seems to echo in my ear. My nose feels stuffy but I can breathe through it I have no ear ache or headache. I have taken two courses of antibiotics and one of a steroid. I was given nasal spray (fluticasone propionate..50mg) to use daily. My voice is nasal it becomes tiring to talk.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
ETD, Hypernasality. Needs further investigation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. You need to get an Impedance Audiometry (Tympanometry) to rule Eustachian Tube Dysfunction or a Patulous Eustachian Tube. This would worsen a tinnitus, distort sound quality and cause an echo in the ears. An audiologist can do these tests.

2. A fexible Fiberoptic Nasopharyngoscopy (FNPS) should be done by an ENT Specialist to look for velopharyngeal insufficiency that causes a hypernasal voice (rhinolalia aperta). The palate movements should be checked for any change. Lower cranial nerve testing should be performed by a Neurologist.

3. Upload these test results for further treatment options.

I hope I have answered your query. Please reply back with the answers and I will be able to help you further.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist