What causes hearing loss, tinnitus and cold?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hey doctor,

I have been having issues with my right ear for the last 2 and half weeks now. It all started with a cold which is long gone now but basically I have had hearing loss to some extent, a feeling of fullness in my ear and tinnitus. A recent checkup to my doctor indicated that there was quite a lot of wax in my right ear. So my doctor gave me Waxsol ear drops twice daily before I am to get my ears irrigated this coming Thursday. My concern is though that when I burp and feel the air being pushed out my right ear I am getting this pain in my right ear which isnt there when I dont burp. Could this be a sign of the earwax being on the ear drum or an infection or inflammation? Should I keep using the Waxsol ear drops or not?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ear wax with Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
The pain on increasing pressure is due to eustachian tube blockage caused by nasal congestion. You should get your ears irrigated and cleaned till than continue using ear drops. THEY will soften the wax.
In addition, I will also suggest to start antihistamines like zyrtec and phenylepherine. Take steam inhalation and chew a gum that will also help decongestant the tube. Use xylometazoline (decongestant) nasal drops three times a day.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available at prescription only.
Wish you get well soon.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 15 minutes later
With the Waxsol ear drops how many drops should I use and is it twice daily? It has different instructions on the packaging saying that I should fill my ear up with it for two days but would that be different because I am using it as a prepration for my ears to be irrigated?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wax with Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The drops will only soften the wax and won't clean it. You have to get them cleaned by a doctor.
Use 2 drops 3 to 4 times a day for at least 5 days and get the ears cleaned.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 29 hours later
Thanks for that doctor another thing with the drops I have noticed just today they feel kind of itchy inside at times not super intense though? Could this be a result of the softening of the wax or possibly something else should I still use them?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ear wax with Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Itchiness is probably due to wax only. if the symptoms increase than get the ears examined as it can be an infection.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist