• question-icon

What causes hearing loss and pressure in the ears?

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: When I stand up from sitting position after reading or driving or looking at my phone I get pressure in my head which alters my hearing, I feel pressure in my ears and some hearing loss. 60 seconds to a minute later I get a weird off balance swimmy sensation which lasts 3-5 minutes, it happens very randomly which has knocked my confidence dramatically as I never know when it will occur. This has been the way of things for 3 now on and off. I have been for an x ray on my neck which came back as cervical lordosis, however I was told this is unlikely to cause this, although reading up on it says it can, its so frustrating! Can you help?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
check for postural hypotension

Detailed Answer:

since the symptoms seem to be related to assuming the upright posture after sitting, you should ask your doctor to check whether you have postural hypotension or not. Postural hypotension is a common condition that causes an abrupt decrease in blood pressure after getting up from the sitting or recumbent position. An abrupt decrease in blood pressure may cause decreased blood flow in parts of the brain and result in neurological symptoms.

Another potential cause can be benign paroxysmal positional vertigo although the symptoms usually last less time. This kind of vertigo initiates seconds after moving the head (changing posture, looking upwards, etc) and usually lasts until the head stops moving and for a couple of minutes more.

So in conclusion, you should visit your primary care physician for assessment. I can only suggest these two potential diagnoses right now. Perhaps your doctor would be able to say more after examining you. A detailed medical history and clinical examination are the most powerful tools to get a diagnosis.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis