What causes hearing loss and musical hallucinations?

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I started having women singing, as if in a choir and then men's voices go over the women's voices, there are also musical instruments, especially trumpets. The music is always going on inside my head, as is the singing and voices. An example would be when I am already starting to sit down, it will say sit down, sit down, sit down, sit down, sit down, sit down, with all of the above still going on day and night and night and day, not even a few seconds of NO NOISE OR VOICES!!!!!!!!!!!! My Nuerologist , Dr. XXXXXXX Riser had an EEG and a 3TMRI done of my brain and she diagnosed me with AUDITORY HALLUCINATIONS. In the past seven months I have gone from 162 lbs. to 127 lbs., with no exercise or watching what I eat, and that is how long the junk has been going on in my head!!!!!!!!! I don't mind being 127 lbs., but one time I was down to 120 lbs., which made me look very anorexic, which I am not!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact I have been eating from the time I get up until almost bedtime and sometimes around midnight I will feel so hungry that I go and get some malted crackers or cookies (I take them back to bed with me and eat until I don't feel so hungry. This is not good because I have hereditary high Cholesterol and high Blood pressure, which I am on medication for. My primary physician (Internal Medicine Doctor) keeps a good eye on my cholesterol levels, and my Cardiologist keep a close check on my heart and my blood pressure. I have had many, many surgeries, including three Cervical Fusions and Open Heart surgery (Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX my Cardiologist went looking for anything to explain my first stroke, even though I had been going to him for six years and had been checked every year for defects in my heart, he did not find the Atrial Septail Defect, that had been in between the two top chambers of my heart. After the first stroke, another lady was doing the ultrasound of my heart and she noted that she saw something, but she wasn't sure what it was. My Cardiologist went down my throat and then he saw the nickel size hole, which a blood clot had shot through and went straight to my brain. My left pariotal lobe had been zapped (short term memory was gone), this was discovered by and MRI of my brain being ordered by my Neurologist. Any way, all of my life the doctors just thought that I was anemic, which I was because the blood was spilling over into my right lung and I wasn't getting what I needed for my brain to operate efficiently (lack of oxygen and other nutrients. I started going to the Cardiologist early because even though I did not know my biological father, I had heard that he started having heart attacks at the age of 32, and had died from heart disease and the massive stroke after all of the others, and my parental grandmother had heart disease, my mother started having heart attacks early on , also my mothers sister, my aunt has an irregular heart beat and so do I. I take 300 mgs. of Wellbutrin and 5 mgs., 3x per day of Klonopin, a .81 mg. aspirin, as well as two cholesterol meds., but I was on three, my cholesterol was so high, as well as a host of other medications, including the Generic for Seroquil, Q something Fumate 300 mgs. per night. My Phychiatrist put me on this because I wasn't doing good at all on the other sleep meds. that he tried and he said that this my even help stop all of the stuff going round and round in my head. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am having trouble finding anyone who treats Auditory Hallucinations near me,
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need one more antipsychotic drug

Detailed Answer:
HI
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

I think, you may have musical ear syndrome. It is a condition seen in people who have hearing loss and subsequently develop auditory hallucinations. "MES" has also been associated with musical hallucinations, which is a complex form of auditory hallucinations where an individual may experience music or sounds that are heard without an external source.

In that case, you need antipsychotic drug like quetiapine, risperidone or aripiprazole etc. You have been taking quetiapine 300 per night, but still facing this problem. In that case, you need one more antipsychotic like risperidone. Discuss with your psychiatrist and get it added in your treatment plan. Gradually you would get improvement.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist