What causes hearing loss along with tinnitus?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have ringing in my left ear, and sudden hearing loss. this has been happening for a little over a week. I have used some over the counter ear wax removal drops.

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hearing loss with tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
The symptoms you have mentioned can be due to wax in the ears or due to some recent nasal or throat infection or some injury or very loud noise exposure.
Please tell me do you have any such symptoms so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
I have allergies and Post nasal drip, and a cough in the AM. I take cough medicine and a decongestant a few times a week. But this came on suddenly first it seemed like a loud noise, then the ringing in the ears- so I started to use OTC ear ringing drops, and Ear wax Drops. The ringing is a little less intense, but I cannot hear certain tones from my left ear, and hearing in general, in the left ear is bad.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hearing loss with tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
The tinnitus and hearing loss is probably due to age related sensory neural loss. You should get a pure tone audiometry done to see the cause and amount of loss. Also get a xray paranasal sinuses done.
The further management depends on the reports.
You should get yourself examined by an ENT specialist and get the ears cleaned.
Take tablet cinnarizine twice daily and tablet vitamin b12 once daily for a week.
All the medicines i prescribed you will be available only on prescription.
Follow up with the reports.
Wish you get well soon.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist