What causes headaches,leg pain and fatigue?

Endocrinologist
Question
I am 50 years old I have had my period for more then two months. I have headaches, legs pain and become very tired easily. What can be the cause?
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to note your problem with periods.

As women approach the age of menopause which averages around 52, periods tend to become irregular.

However, the fact that you have been having continuous periods for 2 months, it is important to rule out worrisome conditions.

When I see someone like this, I order routine labs like

CBC
CMP
TSH

An underactive thyroid can sometimes result in heavy prolonged bleeding. The TSH blood test is a very reliable indicator of thyroid status.

And if it is normal, I refer to a gynecologist to evaluate for other potential causes such as fibroids. Gynecologists are best equipped to manage this as they perform a thorough physical examination and order further appropriate tests as relevant such as ultrasound

Follow-up: What causes headaches,leg pain and fatigue? 12 minutes later
Thank you for your advise. I will schedule myself to see an Gynecologists.