• question-icon

What causes headaches with numbness in lips and arms?

Posted on Thu, 2 Oct 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hello - I have been feeling very weird for about a week - I have headaches, sometimes sharp pain and sometimes just a heavy ache, (I have had migraines before, but this is not quite as intense and has lasted longer) yesterday I started getting a numbness to my lips and my arms. I am sleeping lots to try and shake it but it doesn't seem to work. I thought I had an infection, bacteria or viral so went to the doctor, had some bloods done they all came back clear. I feel very spacey, a bit like I'm slightly drunk. It is unlike me to feel like this.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be migraine, resistant to simple analgesics...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I will try by best to help you with this problem.

After going through the history described by you and correlating the events, I'm of the opinion, that the headache could related to your migraine, which is more resistant to the treatment by simple analgesics.

In order to rule out any other pathology in the brain, I would suggest you to get a CT scan of the brain done.

Meanwhile, continue with ibuprofen, add on a prokinetic and a multivitamin containing magnesium.

Certain lifestyle modifications are required to reduce the episodes of headache.
1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Everyday, try to have food at the same time. Avoid skipping of the meals.
3. Sound sleep is required for at least 7-8 hours a day.
4. Avoid stress.
5. Do relaxation exercises when you find time.
6. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
7. Avoid caffeinated beverages and food/smoking/cheeses/ice creams/coffee & tea/chocolates.

Hope with the above measures you will feel better. Revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for your feedback. I guess I will book into have a CT scan - I was going to wait another day or so just to see if it sorts itself out - if it is a migraine then a CT seems a little dramatic - also I am in Germany so it makes it a little more complicated....

I just wanted to add a few things - I don't think it will make much of a difference though:

I feel a bit like my ears need popping all the time.
I have a numbness to my face - it feels as though I am a bit drunk - my vision is slightly blurry but I don't have double vision, like I usually do with a migraine.
I get the shivers and a I have a slight shaking.
My digestive system is totally fine.
Once I have taken a pill feel better and more centred.

Thanks again,

Sarah
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
CT Scan is not required immediately.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

1. CT scan is not an emergency procedure. Take your time, get the investigations done once you get back to your place . Even though I strongly believe it is Migarine, I would still insist getting a CT Scan done, to be on a safer side.

2. Frequent ear discomfort is due to the blocking of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear). This can worsen during headache because of the autonomic stimulation.

3. The sense of imbalance is due to the aura formed while having migraine headache. My advice to you is to take the analgesics regularly for 3 days, and once the symptoms come under control, take the medicine inmediately when you sense you are getting a headache.

Hope this clears your doubts. I wish you good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist