• question-icon

What causes headaches, vertigo, depression, nausea, heart palpitations and diarrhea while on Hysingla?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Dr. Noble XXXXXXX ..
Thank you for your reply. my daughter is experiencing headaches, vertigo, heart palpitations, severe depression, nausea, vomiting, worsening diarrhea, chills and sweats at the same time, all over muscle aches, twitching, no appetite, total exhaustion, gerd...she can't keep her eyes .. it's like none of her meds are working at all. he doctor insists on weaning her off with Ms Contin and putting her on fentanyl! that's even worse! all of these symptoms are severe side effects of hysingla. she had none of the at all on Ms Contin.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome. Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks.
I understand your concern.
Since your daughter has a number of distressing symptoms, let us control them. Most of her symptoms are due to sympathetic nervous system over activity. Nebivolol which is a medicine commonly used to treat hypertension decreases this heightened sympathetic activity. It may be stated with a small dose like 1.25 mg which is a quarter of the regular starting dose. This is not likely to cause a drop in the blood pressure or cause other side effects.
You can use a PPI like Esomeprazole to reduce the symptoms of GERD.
Is there any reason for her doctor to insist on changing the MS Contin?
Do get back to me with your input.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 5 hours later
Good morning Doctor XXXXXXX
My daughter has SVT.. has been seeing a heart rhythm specialist for it. She takes atenolol twice a day for it which keeps the rate in the 80's vs tachycardic. If she takes anything else, her bp goes too low...it runs around 95/55. with the Hysingla, her BP and rate became very erratic. She is already on Nexium 40 mg twice a day for severe GERD...
her pain NP changed her from MS Contin to hysingla because she had occasional break through pain if she overworked her back. They took her response to that the MS Contin wasn't helping anymore and she needed "something better". She was told that Hysingla has the same ingredient as MS Contin. being off the Hysingla just 40 hours, the adverse side effects have started going away. She is being closely monitored for recurring rectal bleeding and to control the tumor pain. I can keep you up to date with her progress and treatment if it will save even just one other person from going through this.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the update

Detailed Answer:
I'm glad that her side effects are going away with the stopping of Hysingla . She may be better off on MS Contin with paracetamol in addition for break through pains. Atenolol is a beta blocker like Nebivolol and if it keeps her heart rate around 70 per minute, it is fine. Nexium is fine for GERD.
Thank you for sharing your experience even though it may be painful for you to do so. It was helpful in understanding the difficulty one can go through due to medicines which may be similar to one another in action but can differ in side effects.
Try to keep her cheerful as much as possible as it would help her bear the pain better.
Dr. Noble Zachariah