Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

What causes headaches and facial pain with pain around the eyes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
Hi am XXXXXXX an I've been having pain round the eyes more round the top,headaches,facial pain, earache, an sore an red round the left tonsil an when yawning feel a sharp thing near it! Could you tell what this is plz?
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cluster headache, migraine, tonsillitis, see Dr Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I am afraid the pain around the tonsils and the eye, head and facial pains might not have a real direct relationship. It is important however to know if you have any history of migraine in the past or not. The headaches and facial pain, coupled with the pain around the eyes are characteristic of cluster headaches. This is so especially if the headache is not one sided. In case it is more severe on one side compared to the other, there is a high probability it should be migraine. It might necessary to ascertain if the pain has any relationship to menses, is associated with any nausea or vomiting. The quality of your sleep, the intensity or how the pain varies with time (rhythm) would be important for you to precise for a proper diagnosis and a more holistic treatment. Red and painful tonsils, especially on mobilization could imply an infection usually viral or bacterial. It is not rare for such a pain to irradiate to the ear region of even the head. A physical examination would permit however to ascertain the gravity, and determine if it is of viral or bacterial origin, in order to appropriately guide treatment. An ear examination could be useful too, to exclude any possible infection. I strongly think this is either a cluster headache or a migraine. Red and painful tonsils imply a viral or bacterial infection. More questioning on medical history and a physical examination would give more insight and guide further treatment. Thanks and kind regards. Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor