• question-icon

What causes headache while treating poison ivy rashes all over the body?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was exposes to poison ivy. the rash mostly went away as expected. The past week I have had a constant headache, ibuprofen doesn't help. I am running a low fever, ~102, and my blood pressure has jumped to 169/79, normal ~130/79. The area on both ankles, the back of my knees are turning into large purple area.
Is it possible my reaction to the poison ivy has affected my heart pressure causing the headache, jaw ache, and fever? If so is there an allergy medicine that can alleviate the symptems till my body clears the reaction?
My breathing is fine.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a viral cause. Poison ivy less likely contributor.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It is clear that your body is getting stressed, as evident from the rise in blood pressure. The poison ivy could have a role to play but it could also be due to something else like a viral infection. In fact, a viral infection is more likely to be the cause of your headache, jaw ache and fever. An allergic medicine like cetirizine can help in reducing the allergic component that is usually associated.

I would insist you to upload an image of the area of your knee that seems to turn purple.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha