What causes headache while on contraceptive pill?

Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi ive been On the pill for about 3 months but decided to come off as it was giving me headaches and i wasnt feeling well and me and my boyfriend havent been having sex as i was having a burning feeling during sex and little cuts appearing we went to the sexual healh clinic and everything came back negative however 2 days after coming of the pill i had light bleeding where as now its more like a period but a bit heavier than i would be normally its not past a week and im still on and had a big clot pass through onto my santitary towel the size of a 2 pound coin which has scared me any idea what this could be or if it could just be my withdrawal bleed as im not too up to date with knowing about the pill and im 18 so it wouldnt be menopause or anything like that
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is normal to have a heavier period when you stop the pill

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

Normally, when you are on the pill, you get your period from withdrawal of the hormones at the end of the pack. If you stop taking the pill at a different time in the pack, you may get a period that is heavier, or lasts longer than what you usually see. Even if you see some blood clots, you do not need to worry unless you soak more than a pad per hour.

So you absolutely do not have to worry about menopause or any medical cause of your bleeding. Just give it a little more time and the bleeding will stop- and you should expect your next period in about a month after this one finishes.

I hope I was able to adequately answer your question today and that my advice was helpful. If you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee