What causes headache while on Advil?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: hi!
back in November I had like an headache it was really bad I went to the doctor he tells me its tension headeache. I take advil it would go away then come back again. but for the past week I have been feeling some pain in the top/middle of my head I am scared I never feel like that before. I go to the hospital today the doctor tell me I have to do a ct scan I did not do it , I tell him I want to do an mri instead because of the radiation. he tells me I have to go to my family doctor they only do ct scan at the hospital. my family doctor is not in the office she is in vacation but I talk to another doctor he tells me I can't do the mri I have to do the ct scan first. the pain is bad but its not inside the brain but its feel like its inside the brain. I feel weird I can't even hold my head straight it. I have to touch it everytime and people notice that there is something going one with me which is true but don't know what cause the pain. I don't know if its stress or sleep that cause that.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Darline,

I can't diagnose your headache online, but I can provide some thoughts and information.

A new type of headache that doesn't go away should be evaluated with imaging, but that said, most headaches are not caused by anything serious. It's possible that the headaches are related to stress and/or lack of sleep. Still, you need to have it evaluated unless you know for sure you can make it go away with decreased stress and good sleep.

If your own doctor is the only one who can authorize an MRI, and it sounds as though it is unlikely that she will be able to do that even when she comes back from vacation (and you didn't say - is she coming back soon?) then I recommend going ahead with the head CT. It is radiation, but nowadays the newer scanners are quicker and expose a person to less radiation.