What causes headache while coughing?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have pseudotumor cerebri. I don't normally get headaches from the condition though. But since yesterday, it feels like the muscles on the scalp of the right side of my head are sore - and when i cough, they REALLY hurt. Strangely enough, it doesn't hurt to cough if I'm laying down, but if I'm sitting up or standing, the muscles covering my scalp and neck really hurt if I cough on that side of my head.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
For IIH, diamox can be continued.
This headache may be episodic normal migraine attack. Is there any associated vomiting, sensitivity to light or sound?
Any fever?
You can take pain killers like naproxen or aceclofenac for relief.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
There's no vomiting, light sensitivity, sound, nothing like that. Just a soreness that goes from my neck to the top of my head on only one side, and REALLY hurts if I cough.

I guess I should also mention that I was told I have venous sinus stenosis.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take pain killers at present for releif

Detailed Answer:
In case of persistent headache and neck stiffness you may need examination by a neurologist and investigation like repeat brain imaging and csf examination.
If the headache is for short duration and responsive to pain killers then nothing more is required.
Take pain killers as advised.
Get examined and evaluated again if needed by a neurologist.
Wishing you good health and early recovery.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T