What causes headache when I lie down?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: What could cause my head to throb when I am lying on my stomach? I hear whooshing sounds in my ears. After a whioe, it goes away.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
sinus or ear issues could be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Probably the most common cause for a headache when lying on your stomach is sinus congestion. The sinuses are in the front of your face and it puts more pressure on them when you lie on your stomach.
It could also be a problem in your ears. The whooshing sound could be from a bit of fluid behind the ear drum that moves around as you lie down.
I would try to avoid the Excedrine, BC powders and naproxen because if these medications are taken frequently they can end up causing headaches.
Please see your doctor for a thorough ear, nose and throat exam as soon as possible to try and determine the cause
In the mean time when you lie down avoid lying on your stomach.
Dr. Robinson