What causes headache, neck stiffness and back pain in an elderly woman?
This week she has been experiencing a stiff neck and back that has made her unable to turn her head much and made it hard to get out of bed. But no other flu symptoms. I am concerned. She doesn't seem particularly disoriented- at least not a few days ago.
I learned about this from my brother. Mom won't tell me if she is feeling bad and I haven't talked to her in a few days.
Should I be worried?
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
Headache, neck stiffness with photophobia +/_ fever are classical signs and symptoms for meningitis. Fundoscopy and CT brain can be advised if neurological examination suggests so. Lumbar puncture to do Cerebrospinal fluid examination would be required to rule out or confirm such a diagnosis. I would advise you to take her to an ER or neurology unit straight away for proper assessment and treatment.
Wishing you best of health
Let me know if you have any query
Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.
For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below
Dr. M.S. Khalil
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes phlebitislower back pain and headaches
- Headache stiff neck back pain what these symptoms indicate
- What causes fatigue with headache and back pain
- Lower back pain stiffness suggestions
- Lower back pain and stiffness
- Back pain and stiff neck
- Reason for lower back pain knee pain headache stiffness
- What medication be taken for lower back pain and stiffness
- Abdominal pain back pain stiff leg cause
- Stiff back pain