• question-icon

What causes headache in a hypertensive person while on Laveta?

Posted on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: From the past week,I have been getting a slight headache just above the eyes (lower forehead). It started on the right side and it now seems to have gone over to the left side. I feel a slight tightness/heaviness in the back of my head and sometimes a little bit of pressure on my nose. I felt it quite a bit when working out in the gym yesterday.

I am under medication for hypertension (WinBP 40, once in the morning) and when i checked my blood pressure last, it was 160 x 80. The physician I had gone to prescribed the following for 3 days:

LAVETA and ZIX-RP for 3 days. He said he might have to increase my blood pressure medication if the pressure was still high.

I'm wondering what the problem could be. Blood pressure, eyesight related problems (I wear spectacles but haven't checked my eyes for over 4 years), or something more serious? I am a fitness fanatic and enjoy working out and eating healthy.

Current medication:
WinBP40 - once a day (for hypertension).
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As of now, seems to be vascular headache.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted your symptoms, and they do not suggest anything serious. The cause is most probably a vascular headache, related to high BP. It should settle down in a few days.

If the headache persists beyond 3-4 days, a brain scan may be done.

I sincerely hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,     
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
Thanks doctor.

The pain started last Saturday and stopped once I took ZIX-RP and Laveta for 3 days.
The pain started again,yesterday (in the lower forhead area), while i was working out in the gym.

Should I get a brain scan done?
Number of days of pain:
Saturday morning.
then the pains tiopped because i started the 3 days course of tablets. The pain started yesterday after the course was over.
The physician said he would have to increase the BP medication if the pressure was still high.
Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can wait for another couple of days.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

You can take medications such as naproxen tablet for relief of headache now. Also, reduce the intensity of gym and exercises for a while, as intense workouts may aggravate headaches.

If pain continues/recurs after 2 days, you can get a scan done.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist