question-icon

What causes headache, fever and chest pain in children?

Posted on Thu, 14 May 2015
Question: Hello, this morning I dropped my daughter off at school and she was fine but I get a call from school within 2hrs, she has a bad headache so I went to pick her up and she had a 101.5 fever, and now its broke but her chest hurts, and she threw up 2x and can't keep anything down and has a hard time breathing. What can cause this so quickly and what can I give her?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
you need to see doctor

Detailed Answer:
hi and welcome.
these are nonspeciifc symptoms and it is hard to say exact diagnosis but it sounds like possible gastritis, gastroenteritis or aspirational pneumonia or even asthma. Since there is fever, it indicates infection and most likely it will be some upper respiratory infection,BUT breathing difficulty is worrying symptom and some more serious conditions should be ruled out. SO i suggest to visit pediatrician as soon as you can,you must prevent dehydration and possible pneumonia progression. Till that give her more fluids, antipiretic and easier food. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon