What causes headache during pregnancy?

Question
I am 11 weeks pregnant. I usually have vomiting every day or every second day. My doctor has prescribed Navidoxine for the vomiting and nausea. Since last night I am having a terrible headache. This morning the headache increased and I had vomiting 5 times in a 1 hour time. I am drinking water but it comes out after 10 mins. The headache also remains.
My questions are as follows:
1. What is the reason for the sudden headaches?
2. What can I do to reduce the headache. Is taking Panadol Actifast (500mg paracetamol) safe?
3. What should I do for the constant vomiting?
4. What measures I should take following so much vomiting and also the fact that I am drinking water and it comes out after 10 mins?

Your urgent reply is needed

Thanks.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hyperemesis gravidarum

Detailed Answer:

With your description of symptoms, you are suffering from medical condition called hyperemesis gravidorum which is very common during first trimester of pregnancy but sometimes it may need medical attention as in your case.

1) In my opinion the reason of severe headache may be due to dehydration because you are having so much of vomiting and not be able to retained fluids or it may be due to hormonal changes.

2) You should take plenty of fluids orally which you already had, if it is not relieved then you can take paracetamol, it is safe during pregnancy.

But if your headache is persistent then in my opinion you should consult a physician, he will give you intravenous fluids and anti emetics. You should see for your blood pressure and sugar also.

3) You can take doxinate- plus for your vomiting, take plenty of fluids, dry rusk in the morning, bland diet and high protein diet.

If you can not tolerate orally then you should go to hospital and doctor will give you intravenous fluids and antiemetic drugs.

4) First you should take oral medication which I have mentioned earlier, if it is not effective, go to hospital and take fluids intravenously.

Your general examination is important and some investigation are also advice- You should go for ultrasonography test, blood pressure testing, blood sugar testing.

In most of the patient headache and vomiting goes away with advancement of pregnancy, so please do not get worried and follow my advice.

I think I have answered your query if you have further questions I will be happy to help you.

Good luck.
Dr. Richa