What causes headache and vomiting after injury?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Head Injuries
Question: my son punched in the face on Saturday night. On Tuesday he threw up twice and had a slight headache. He threw up again this morning and still has a headache but also his lower back hurts. He is nauseas also. I don't know if he has the flu or a concussion.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physical examination/CT Scan of head

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar, a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Since he 'threw up' twice along with headache, I would suggest that a CT scan of head may be done to rule out any internal injury/concussion. What do you actually refer with 'threw up'? Was it a seizure like activity?Did he lose consciousness?

If answers to these questions is yes, he must be taken to an emergency room with promptness.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 8 minutes later
No seizure he vomited on Monday and Tuesday.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Even vomiting is red flag.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Vomiting after head injury is red flag sign.Concussion must be ruled out.

Hope that helps.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread,rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 20 minutes later
He thinks it's the flu because his stomach hurts also.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
It may be but its better to be on safer side.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Of course, I am not denying that it may just be flu but its better to be on protective side.So, its better to visit for a physical examination at least.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread,rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)