What causes headache and sinus pressure post mild head injury?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, I am a yoga teacher and today I was helping a student get into a handstand posture.
She kicked up with her leg and she kicked the left side crown of my head with her foot and full force. Right away it was quite painful. One hour after, I felt a little foggy and not quite stable and very tired. Then I began to have a headache on my left side where I was hit, all the way to the temple and neck area. I put ice on the area, and now about 4 hours later I feel better (less headache, no more shakiness or foggy thinking). However, I feel sinus pressure in the right side nostril, and some mucous on the right side nostril only. Is this normal, or should I be worried about a concussion? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Concussion unlikely

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Looking at the description of your symptoms I do not think there is any ground to worry about a concussion. Reasons to worry would be if the headache went increasing, if there is confusion, behavior changes, seizures, double vision or other visual issues, weakness of the limbs on one side, trouble with walking and coordination, nausea and vomiting etc. So I do not think you have a concussion, or at the worst case scenario a very mild one for which not much needs to be done apart from some rest.

Sinus pressure and mucus discharge is not a manifestation of concussion. In theory in traumatic injury there may be hemosinus, a bleed inside the sinus, but judging from the site of the hit that you took and the type of impact I think it's unlikely.
Reason to think of a skull fracture would be if instead of this mucus discharge you had clear fluid coming out of the nose or ears. I really do not think that is your case though, happens in much more severe trauma and in older patients.

I think you will be alright but don't hesitate to write again if you have any new symptoms or other questions.