What causes headache and pain around ear and neck?

Excellent

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
I have had a headache for the last four days. It starts over my ears and then involves my neck where my hair attached to it. My blood pressure is 147/79 and my pulse is 79. I don't feel under stress except for wondering why the headache won't go away.
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
possible tension headache

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be Answering your query.
However, I would require some more information.

1. Is your sleep regular?
2. Any ear pain, or swelling around ear?
3. Is it ache radiating towards eyes?
4. Eye ache is present? Need to check for refractory errors.
5. Are you feeling weak.

Blood pressure is mildly elevated. Appears to be tension headache. Requires good sleep. If you answer the above queries, I will try to help you more.
Dr. Prakash HM

Follow-up: What causes headache and pain around ear and neck? 7 hours later
I am having some ear pain but no swelling, my eyes do not hurt except in bright light. As far as sleeping, it would be good if the pain in my head didn't wake me up. I don't feel particularly weak just don't want to do anything because movement hurts. I can turn my head side to side but it hurts when I bow it forward or worst yet look up.

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
ENT evaluation necessary

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again for asking.
Based on two symptoms
1. Ear pain.
2. Headache increased when you bend

Both points towards a sinuses and possible ear infection. Even a small infection in ear can cause severe pain, affecting sleep.
Meet your ENT doctor for evaluation of sinuses and ear.
Try steam inhalation and antihistamine like chlorpheniramine in the mean time. It should help.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM