What causes headache and metallic taste in mouth after having TDAP vaccine?

Posted on Tue, 24 Jun 2014 in General Health
Question: I had the TDAP vaccine two weeks ago. Within 24 hours of the shot, I had a headache, a metallic taste in my mouth and tooth pain. It has not disipated. I have been to the Doctor, Dentist, and filed a report with the CDC. I keep seeing people ask about metallic taste and some complain of tooth pain. I would like a more indepth answer than "take tylenol or paracetmol".
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please, see below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you experienced after taking this vaccine shot.

To be honest, this is not a recognized and commonly reported side effect of this vaccine. It may be that it has never been reported by others in the past and medical literature has failed to file these as possible side effects. I am happy to know you notified CDC about this and of course this will open the doors for further inquiry to make sure it is not a possible side effect that has not been documented over the years.

For sure, no one can give you concrete information about this as there is no seasoned medical literature on these symptoms that you have reported. The best approach to your symptoms would be to take symptomatic relief. I understand you need more information beyond take Tylenol but, this information is not available to the medical community right now and I rather not guess without a sound medical backings.

In all, there is no documentation on these reported symptoms right now. May be in future there may be more information on this and how to go about managing the symptoms in a more comprehensive way.

I hope this helps and I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarification should need be. Thanks so much for trusting us this day with your health query.
Dr. Ivo Ditah