What causes headache and lower back pain in a HIV positive?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I am Hiv + diagnosed 3 years which I contracted from my x husband. my question is I'm having a horrible headache in the back of my my neck and also intense pain in my lower back this had never happened and I don't want to ruin to the emergency room if it's nothing. .
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
CD4 count and viral load may give a clue.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,Welcome to HCM
It could be due to HIV or sometimes not related to HIV infection.
Kindly furnish the following details. Are you on ART?
What is your CD4 count and viral load?
On these basis I can discuss more.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 18 minutes later
I am on hart, epzicom and isentress. my last cd4 was 341 but I was undetectable.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are unlikely be due to HIV

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
I am happy to know that you are on HAART and your viral load is very much under control and undetectable.
In this situation it is very much unlikely be due to HIV. Head ache,neck pain along with back pain is a quite common symptom for anybody to have. Strain and other causes have to be ruled out.
But these symptoms should not be neglected. Sometimes various investigations like Xray, CT SCAN, MRI may be needed to fix the cause. Knock the door of ER as early as possible.
Dr. S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina