What causes headache and high BP after an accident?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: This morning Iwas driving to work and had an accident but have no recollection of the accident. In a very short period Ihad my memory restored. Istarted to have a headache this pm and took my blood pressure which is 160/90 which is very high from my usual 120/80. Ihave made an appointment to see my internist for tomorrow am. Was this a TIA?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs a detailed evaluation and can be TIA

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Health Care Magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it is a serious matter to be looked into and should be ignored at all. If may need to be probed to avoid any future recurrence of such event.

To start with a BP record should be maintained as it seems that you will need long term blood pressure medications. Also an urgent EKG and if needed Stress EKG, Echocardiography and even Holter monitoring may be needed to rule out any cardiac cause. Also blood work up for detailed electrolytes, B-12, folic acid and thyroid profile should be done along with other routine baseline labs.

Then comes the most important one and that is to have a detailed neurological examination by your GP as in such cases examination is very much suggestive if neurological cause is suspected. If it is perfectly normal even then possibility of minor stroke or TIA can't be ruled out. A diffusion weighted MRI should be the treatment of choice along with carotid artery doppler study.

These symptoms may look trivial but needs a detailed probe to avoid any such incidence in future. Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee