What causes headache and fever after intake of Albemed?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: 36 hours ago, took Al emed that a friend gave me to help treat chronic mites. 24 hours later, have a headache nd 101.5 degree fever. Any chance that this caused it and should I just ride it out? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chance of it

Detailed Answer:

Albemed (Albendazole) which is known to treat worm infection in the gut and body is known to cause high temperature and headache because of its action on the worms and spores. The antigens are suddenly released causing a spurt in immunological response. The inflammatory markers rise due to this leading high temperature.
You should just take Acetaminophen for the rising temperature and nothing else.
Wait it out for 24 hours till the response weakens.

All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Thank you very much, Dr. Mazundar. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 42 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome. Please close and rate the discussion
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli