What causes headache and chest pain post tetanus shot?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Had a tetanus shot four weeks ago. Wonder if this could have caused my severe headache and chest pain
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome

Detailed Answer:
Not likely, most reactions due to ana-te shots happens within several days. some very rare autoimmune disorders may happen later but this is rarity and you would have some other neurologic symptoms such as dizziness, parasthesias or extremities paresis. So i would suggest to look for other causes of your symptoms,mainly heart and lung disorders,high blood pressure or some types of migraines that go with chest pain. Although,in mamy cases the exact cause cant be found at all.wish you good health.regards

Follow-up: What causes headache and chest pain post tetanus shot? 13 minutes later
I do have weak legs. I have tingling face.

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
If these symptoms werent there before tetanus shot then you need to see neurologist and certain therapy may be needed,but still I dont think this is something serious ot tetanus shot realted.

Follow-up: What causes headache and chest pain post tetanus shot? 1 minute later
Could it be anxiety

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
yes, anxiety is common cause of such neurological symptoms. you should try with classic benzodiazepines at low dosage but it should be combined with nonsteroid analgesia. Of course, lifestyle must be changed and you need to find activities that will relax your mind and body.