What causes headache after having Myelogram?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I had a ct myelogram of cervical spine yesterday, I am experiencing these god awful headaches when upright for any length of time, I have been laying down and pushing the fluids as told but when does this get better? It really is nauseating and painful.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it should resolve within the next 24 hours...

Detailed Answer:

interventions in the spinal fluid cavity may cause headache. Myelography is one of them and may cause headache, usually starting within the first 3 days after the procedure and lasting for 1 day. The patient usually feels better when lying down and worse when standing. The headache is usually mild. Fluids help.

Since you're having serious headache, you'd better visit your doctor for clinical assessment and drug prescription for the pain. Checking for fever is essential to identify potential infection as soon as possible.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 8 minutes later
Thank you for answering my question. If you think it will resolve in next 24 hrs I will try to wait it out overnight to see if it is better in am. I hate to go to the emergency room if they can't help me .
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
they can provide some help...

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

The main concern is an infection inside the nervous system, so checking for fever is very important and of course if you detect fever you should visit the ER right away! Besides the clinical assessment the doctors at the ER may prescribe drugs for the pain to make you feel better.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!