• question-icon

What causes head pain while on Motrin?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: head hurts here. will mortin help or should I try something else???
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

You can try Motrin for a headache (if you don't have a history of stomach ulcers) but eat something before taking it. You can take the Motrin three times a day.

Also rest, get enough sleep at night, and drink plenty of water so that you are adequately hydrated.

If your headache is severe, or persistent, and has never been evaluated, then it is advisable for you to go in to be seen by a doctor in the ER, where they can do an exam and possibly imaging studies if warranted. Headaches can be from many causes. I did look at the picture you sent, and while the location helps provide some information, there are more characteristics that are needed to help sort it out and a neurological exam would be needed.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 12 minutes later
thank you. I've had migraine headaches sinus headaches tension headaches xiety all that before so I got a lot of headaches the pain always moves different places of my head so just didn't know what would be the best thing to take.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this.

Detailed Answer:
If it is an occasional headache that doesn't occur too often, then taking NSAIDs such as Advil or Motrin is usually enough.

If it is a migraine and occurs often, then there are other medications that can be used (by prescription) to lessen the frequency of their occurrences. These range from an old class of tricyclic antidepressant (amitriptyline) to calcium channel blockers.

For headaches associated with anxiety, treating the underlying problem, such as with an SSRI if you have ongoing anxiety, can help.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh