What causes hardness on calf muscle post major leg injury?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 11 weeks ago I was hit while riding my bicycle by a car doing 55 mph. I had a severe crush injury to my left leg, broken fibula, tibia, foot was facing the wrong direction and I have a tear 3/4 of the way around the back of my knee with severed nerves. My ankle has 1 plate 12 screws, 2 pins holding it together...
My question is why is the back of my calf still hard as a rock? It hurts to rest it on anything without a pillow. I can no longer and never will feel the back of my calf however it still hurts on the inside? Is this going to go away and is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
there can be muscle ischaemia due to injury and surgery around leg

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have read your query.
There is possibility of calf muscle ischaemia while injury and during surgery leading to loss of flexibility.
ischaemia follows fibrosis leading to more stiffness.
Early active and passive physiotherapy and exercises will help.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and matrix therapy may help you.
Take supplements of potassium calcium and vitamin A,vitamin D,vitamin C for early healing.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to contact us. I will be happy to answer. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon