What causes hard swollen eyebrow?

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My eyebrow started hurting and is very hard and swollen . It has swoll everyday more and more now this is day 3. It feels like I've been shot in the face . It is starting to swell over my eyelid and above the eyebrow on the forhead. There is a head where only minimal pus came out hurried inside of my eyebrow . A doctor prescribed keflex saying it "might" be a form of staph. The meds are not working . What is this thing and who do I go see other than an urgent care doctor .
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Either it could be stye or sebaceous cyst as per your description.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to health care magic,

As per your description, either it could be infective stye or sebaceous cyst as you said it is hard and swollen. When it becomes infected it causes pain.

If possible, can you upload the picture So that I can suggest you clearly.

You have been prescribed Keflex (Tab.cephalexin) which is a very good antibiotic specially in soft tissue infections.

But if this is a cyst then it need to be removed surgically under local anesthesia or if it is a stye then it will require to be drained.

Here you should not worry because it is just a day care procedure.

After the procedure, this small course of antibiotic with anti-inflammatory and hot fomentations will probably cure your problem.

So, you need to consult general surgeon for the above procedure.

If taking Just antibiotic which has not worked yet, then above treatment will definitely cure your problem.

If you have any query feel free to ask me.

Thanks and Regards,

Dr.SandipKabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
I justwoke up with even more swelling in just a few hours .
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
seems to be sebaceous cyst or boil.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow-up.

It seems to be a sebaceous cyst or perhaps boil over the for head near left eye brow.

As I said earlier,it needs to be removed or drained surgically depending upon the diagnosis under local anesthesia.

Your nearby surgeon would do this day care procedure and can prescribe you the post operative treatment.
So,immediately book an appointment with general surgeon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 6 hours later
Im at the ER right now nobody is open until Monday and im in excusiating pain . I had this 5 years ago i was told it was staph it got as big as a golf ball my eye swoll shut . I was hospitalized for 2days . It seems to have resurfaced when i got a chemical peel last week .
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take analgesic meanwhile.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow-up.

It is very common to have staphyloccocal bacterial infection in this kind of boil or cyst.

At present you can take over the counter NSAIDs like tab.diclofenac to alleviate from this severe pain and can continue with keflex till it get operated by surgeon.

This much help i can do through HCM right now.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Sandip Kabra