What causes hard stools?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi.. My 2 year old is suffering from hard stools.. We had to get enema done as well.. She was earlier potty trained but ever since the painful stools and enema she just refuses to pass stool. She is on lactoluse 10 ml morning and 10 ml evening. But this too doesnt work at times and she is in a lot of pain from holding the stool. We have also started laxopeg today. We have switched her from whole milk to low fat milk and giving high fiber diet. She is in a lot of pain from holding the stool and is very scared og suppositories .. What should i do for instany relief?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
retention enema will be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Constipation is a common clinical problem encountered.
The cause of constipation is

1. Decreased consumption of water
2. Low fiber diet
3. Painful anal condition like anal fissure
4. Hirschsprung disease

Detailed assessment by Pediatric Surgeon is recommended.
In the meantime I would suggest you the following

1. Plenty of oral fluids : I recommend to follow my plan of rule of 1.
1 cup of water 1 hour before meals and 1 cup of water 1 hour after every meals will ensure adequate intake of fluids
2. Hot Seitz bath : To a tub of lukewarm water add handful of common table salt. Make baby sit in it for 15 minutes each session twice a day

3. Retention enema :

4. Detailed examination by Pediatric Surgeon

5. Avoid following: Avoid giving food stuff containing refined wheat flour like biscuits , rusk , bread etc

Retention enema in consultation with your physician will definitely provide much needed relief.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 56 minutes later
I am giving lots of water maybe not as much as you have prescribed.. Will increase the water intake as advised by you. But i do not want to go in fot enema as the last time we did enema she was terrified. In fact she has become so scared of hoing out that she doesnt sit in the car for the fear of being taken to a hospital again. Is there any oral medication which can provide immediate relief. And while i am not keen on giving a suppository, given how scared she is, is it advisable to give it while the child is sleeping.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suppository can be given during sleep

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings

Dulcolax Pediatric suppository can be given during sleep.
It will be very much helpful to consult a Pediatric Surgeon.

Best regards
Dr Deepak